McLaren 650S Forum

McLaren 650S Forum (https://www.650sforum.com/forum/)
-   2015 McLaren 650S General Discussion Forum (https://www.650sforum.com/forum/9-2015-mclaren-650s-general-discussion-forum/)
-   -   How do regular drivers handle driving a supercar like the 650S? (https://www.650sforum.com/forum/9-2015-mclaren-650s-general-discussion-forum/19073-how-do-regular-drivers-handle-driving-supercar-like-650s.html)

Mr.Big 07-17-2014 11:05 AM

How do regular drivers handle driving a supercar like the 650S?

The McLaren 650S is a really fast car, and in truth, it is far beyond the skillset of anyone who doesn't wear Nomex and a helmet while driving. Even if you don't go to to driving school to become an expert, chief test driver Chris Goodwin says that the 650S can make you feel like one.

WIRED.com has an article that talks about how their editor slowly gets to know the 650S and is able to take turns at faster and faster speeds. I think that the article is worth a read.

Quote:

I lack the space (and courage) to achieve such speed, let alone confirm a terminal velocity of 207, so I let up for a Turn 1, then stab the brakes as I approach Turn 2. In the mirror, I see the rear wing rise like a sail. This is more tech cribbed from F1. Under hard acceleration, the wing flattens to reduce drag; while cresting a hill at speed, it adjusts to optimize downforce; when braking, it acts as an air brake. It works with the efficiency of a tail hook—the 650S comes to a standstill from 62 mph in 101 feet—and pitches me forward in my seat.
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/mclaren...ide-id-1232691

Mr.Sullivan 07-17-2014 04:39 PM

Its like anything, remember when you first learned to ride a two wheel bicycle, remember how much better you were at riding said bicycle ten years later?

Granted thats a different level of speed and risk than a lowly bicycle but the analogy holds. The thing thats worrisome is the ease and confidence that is instilled. Thats actually a massive problem with the GTR is it makes people think they are better at driving than they are and they put themselves and other into risky situations because the car makes them feel good.

In essence 650S is equal to cocaine, especially because you need more to feel better and better and better ;)

Mr.Big 07-18-2014 04:38 PM

Do some supercars inspire more confidence like that than others? It sure does seem like a lot of supercars crash when you think about how many of them actually exist. And they tend to not hold up very well in a crash either.

Mr.Sullivan 07-18-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Big (Post 32921)
Do some supercars inspire more confidence like that than others? It sure does seem like a lot of supercars crash when you think about how many of them actually exist. And they tend to not hold up very well in a crash either.

well many supercars are crashed because of the confidence they inspire. There were much fewer supercar crashes when the cars were constantly trying to assassinate the owner. Now that they're not chronicly snap oversteering or self immolating these cars are getting driven harder and harder and more often which in turn ups the likely hood of a crash.

Mr.Big 07-21-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sullivan (Post 32929)
well many supercars are crashed because of the confidence they inspire. There were much fewer supercar crashes when the cars were constantly trying to assassinate the owner. Now that they're not chronicly snap oversteering or self immolating these cars are getting driven harder and harder and more often which in turn ups the likely hood of a crash.

It's kinda a catch-22 then. Make the cars better at driving and safer, and people are going to drive more aggressively increasing their chance of crashing.

Build the cars in a way that they are less safe and less good at driving and people will be cautious, but will still get in accidents because the car doesn't handle well (and those crashes will be worse because of worse safety gear.)

Mr.Sullivan 07-22-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Big (Post 33305)
It's kinda a catch-22 then. Make the cars better at driving and safer, and people are going to drive more aggressively increasing their chance of crashing.

Build the cars in a way that they are less safe and less good at driving and people will be cautious, but will still get in accidents because the car doesn't handle well (and those crashes will be worse because of worse safety gear.)

Catch 22 indeed. Handling is only one aspect of driving these cars and the handling is not really the issue, its how those grip levels are achieved. Its the electric gizmos that keep everything all neat and tidy. Bring back the cars that were constantly trying to kill you, they all handled well, but their lack of electronics made them a HAIRY affair.

And while were at it lets bring back two stroke motorbikes and proper road racing. In other words, too bad.... ;)