How do regular drivers handle driving a supercar like the 650S? - McLaren 650S Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
How do regular drivers handle driving a supercar like the 650S?

The McLaren 650S is a really fast car, and in truth, it is far beyond the skillset of anyone who doesn't wear Nomex and a helmet while driving. Even if you don't go to to driving school to become an expert, chief test driver Chris Goodwin says that the 650S can make you feel like one.

WIRED.com has an article that talks about how their editor slowly gets to know the 650S and is able to take turns at faster and faster speeds. I think that the article is worth a read.

Quote:
I lack the space (and courage) to achieve such speed, let alone confirm a terminal velocity of 207, so I let up for a Turn 1, then stab the brakes as I approach Turn 2. In the mirror, I see the rear wing rise like a sail. This is more tech cribbed from F1. Under hard acceleration, the wing flattens to reduce drag; while cresting a hill at speed, it adjusts to optimize downforce; when braking, it acts as an air brake. It works with the efficiency of a tail hook—the 650S comes to a standstill from 62 mph in 101 feet—and pitches me forward in my seat.
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/mclaren...ide-id-1232691



Mr.Big is offline  
post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 131
Its like anything, remember when you first learned to ride a two wheel bicycle, remember how much better you were at riding said bicycle ten years later?

Granted thats a different level of speed and risk than a lowly bicycle but the analogy holds. The thing thats worrisome is the ease and confidence that is instilled. Thats actually a massive problem with the GTR is it makes people think they are better at driving than they are and they put themselves and other into risky situations because the car makes them feel good.

In essence 650S is equal to cocaine, especially because you need more to feel better and better and better
Mr.Sullivan is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
Do some supercars inspire more confidence like that than others? It sure does seem like a lot of supercars crash when you think about how many of them actually exist. And they tend to not hold up very well in a crash either.



Mr.Big is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Do some supercars inspire more confidence like that than others? It sure does seem like a lot of supercars crash when you think about how many of them actually exist. And they tend to not hold up very well in a crash either.
well many supercars are crashed because of the confidence they inspire. There were much fewer supercar crashes when the cars were constantly trying to assassinate the owner. Now that they're not chronicly snap oversteering or self immolating these cars are getting driven harder and harder and more often which in turn ups the likely hood of a crash.
Mr.Sullivan is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sullivan View Post
well many supercars are crashed because of the confidence they inspire. There were much fewer supercar crashes when the cars were constantly trying to assassinate the owner. Now that they're not chronicly snap oversteering or self immolating these cars are getting driven harder and harder and more often which in turn ups the likely hood of a crash.
It's kinda a catch-22 then. Make the cars better at driving and safer, and people are going to drive more aggressively increasing their chance of crashing.

Build the cars in a way that they are less safe and less good at driving and people will be cautious, but will still get in accidents because the car doesn't handle well (and those crashes will be worse because of worse safety gear.)



Mr.Big is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
It's kinda a catch-22 then. Make the cars better at driving and safer, and people are going to drive more aggressively increasing their chance of crashing.

Build the cars in a way that they are less safe and less good at driving and people will be cautious, but will still get in accidents because the car doesn't handle well (and those crashes will be worse because of worse safety gear.)
Catch 22 indeed. Handling is only one aspect of driving these cars and the handling is not really the issue, its how those grip levels are achieved. Its the electric gizmos that keep everything all neat and tidy. Bring back the cars that were constantly trying to kill you, they all handled well, but their lack of electronics made them a HAIRY affair.

And while were at it lets bring back two stroke motorbikes and proper road racing. In other words, too bad....
Mr.Sullivan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren 650S Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Korea's Oullim Spirra supercar fastlane McLaren 650S Lounge 0 06-12-2014 10:11 AM
The Practical Supercar Mr.Sullivan 2015 McLaren 650S General Discussion Forum 3 06-05-2014 05:11 PM
McLaren 650S - What's A Supercar? The Debate Rages On -- AFTER/DRIVE fastlane New 2015 McLaren 650S Photos and Videos 9 03-19-2014 12:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off