Exciting Week at McLaren San Francisco: First P1 and 650S Deliveries! - McLaren 650S Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Exciting Week at McLaren San Francisco: First P1 and 650S Deliveries!

And so...the long-awaited time is upon us! US-spec, production versions of McLaren's P1 have finally begun to make their way out to owners. As you're surely aware, the very first one in the US went to Jay Leno. But the others weren't far behind. Here's the tale of the first two that we got at McLaren San Francisco. Plus some bonus content: our first 650S.

On the production line, all 12C's and 650S' are numbered sequentially; therefore, the last four digits of your VIN give a fairly precise estimate as to when your car was made (relative to the others), and also how many have been made so far (the newest car I've personally seen as of today is 3566). The P1 follows the same logic, however, current F1 owners were given the option of getting their P1 in the matching number of their F1 (both VIN and chassis code, FYI).

I knew last Tuesday was going to be an auspicious day; it was my birthday! But more than that, we were scheduled to get not one but TWO P1's. So of course I watched like a hawk on a hill for any big truck rolling up. And when a non-descript truck showed up, I laughed...

Circuit City, eh? Talk about stealthy.

Cones were brought in to block off the road.

I know somebody's gonna say, "Pff, give me that ol' 930 any day"

A local videographer, Brian Zuk, was invited to film the proceedings. You can watch that video on Youtube.

post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Soon, a crowd began to form. Not shown out of frame: a dozen or so Tesla employees with cameras out!

At this point, Alessandro put the car into E-Mode, it went silent, and took off. A hearty "oooh" could be heard from the peanut gallery, ringing particularly strong from the Tesla section. "Well, I guess we have the coolest electric car on the block now!" I exclaimed.

But wait! The excitement doesn't stop there! Because...

And back in the shop...

Man, I just want to tear that up like X-mas morning.

post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Ready for the unveil...

And the covers come off!

This "MC" designation means that these Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires, while outwardly appearing similar to the other P Zero Corsas on the market, are specially made for McLaren. Also note the tire wear from the factory shakedown drive!

The P1 was so hot that not a single soul paid attention to that awesome diffuser on the 12C...

Check out how the alternating weaves match up. Sexy.

Really interesting McVent. Everything is shaped like the McLaren swoosh...who knew it was so aerodynamic?

This is for all you stubborn "I don't need no parking brake, the ground is flat" folks...use the parking brake on your P1 :P

Race mode.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

In case you forgot what the old 12C looks like in Volcano Red, here ya go.

This one stayed wrapped for now because the owner wanted to keep all the packaging, so we had to make sure to preserve it. But don't worry...you'll get to see that car in this thread soon. Be patient

Coming in Part 2: 650S delivery!

post #5 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay, time for some 650S action!

When we were taking delivery of the 650S, a mother rolled up in this van with her young son, who was holding a small point-and-shoot camera. I think they had hoped to get a glimpse of a P1, but they actually showed up at the perfect time to see the 650S. When I followed the McLaren from the truck back to the shop, I noticed this scene. So I took a photo. The young kid saw what I was clearly doing and just looked at me incredulously. "What, you don't like Honda Odysseys??" I said to him. It was a joke that I didn't expect him to understand; but hopefully he remembers that moment when a McLaren photographer took a photo of his mom's van...

It was very interesting to me that the 650S came wrapped like the P1; the 12C doesn't have any of that wrapping paper.

No idea why they left the teal tape on. It kinda ruined this next shot...

There's a whole detailed set on my work Flickr, but here are the highlights:

post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Coming in Part 3: P1 shots!

Lift:

Street mode:

post #7 of 14 Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM

beautiful photos

what camera setup are you using?

the contrast between that minivan and the lambo behind it :P

and the mazda in the bay behind the 650s :P

moar pics of that porsche that is also in the carrier
post #8 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdftw View Post
beautiful photos

what camera setup are you using?
Nikon D90
post #9 of 14 Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Nikon D90
Hey Dr. Copy-Paste, who do you think you are?

You just copied my thread, verbatim, without any attribution at all. You didn't even bother to give any introduction or even quote what you pasted! You didn't go so far as to literally say "These are my photos", but that's the impression you gave.

I appreciate that you enjoyed my photos and decided to share them, but remember to give credit where credit is due.

This is my original thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...50S-Deliveries!

And this is my work Flickr, if anyone wants to see more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/sets
post #10 of 14 Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

:O :O

well i just want to say nice work hushypushy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren 650S Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page