All-Hybrid Lineup in McLaren's Future - McLaren 650S Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

All-Hybrid Lineup in McLaren's Future

Recently, McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt told Edmunds that in the next 10 years the company is aiming to produce between 4,000 and 6,000 cars annually. He also said the "all models will be hybrids, even if some use a basic form of hybridization."

There may even be an electric car in McLaren's future. McLaren is the sole supplier of electric motors for the new Formula E Championship.

Hybrid supercars are pretty popular in the industry now. I feel like it is a good idea to be an all hybrid supercar company nowadays. Sounds like a step in the right direction.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-hybrid-lineup

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 PM

That is some goal they have, at the pace they're moving that seems very possible, which has me wondering what other models they will come out. in the next 10 years they have to at least be coming out with a couple more.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I can't really see a downside to this plan. Plenty of other manufacturers are making hybrid supercars (BMW, Acura). I think that a supercar is about more than how fast it goes. It is about having the most advanced technology, and at this time that means hybrid technology and low emissions just as much as top speed and acceleration.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Electricity is on the verge of becoming the next big luxury play so this doesnt surprise me. WEC and F1 are both Hybridized now so the performance chops are being shown. Petrol for the proletariat
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sullivan View Post
Electricity is on the verge of becoming the next big luxury play so this doesnt surprise me. WEC and F1 are both Hybridized now so the performance chops are being shown. Petrol for the proletariat
Reason why im glad the P1 has it, it's a step into the future, to see what we can see on a mass scale. The 30 minute video of it on the Drive network is quite amazing, worth the watch.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

With Acura coming out with the NSX, and BMW coming out with the i8, it seems like McLaren would be behind eventually if they didn't invest in hybrid supercar technology. Those cars are to be much cheaper than McLarens but McLaren has been moving down market recently so I think that this is a move that shows that McLaren is a smart company.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren 650S Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page