McLaren 650S GT3 easer ahead of 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed Debut - McLaren 650S Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

McLaren 650S GT3 easer ahead of 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed Debut

McLaren is planning to premiere its new 650S GT3 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. In anticipation of that, McLaren is teasing its upcoming car in the picture above.

The 650S GT3 will run on a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that will deliver over 650 hp.

The McLaren 650S GT3 is also going to get a new body kit which will include a rear wing. It will also have some new features like a front radiator to extend the maximum ambient temperature, and a new gearbox cooler on the rear Aerodeck. There will also be a new front splitter, door blade, rear wing and rear air diffiser.

post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 11:57 AM

I knew it! Any idea how much more it will cost? I'm starting to think that it will also see a similar significant price jump like what was done with the P1 GTR from the P1

Can't wait to see it in full.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
I knew it! Any idea how much more it will cost? I'm starting to think that it will also see a similar significant price jump like what was done with the P1 GTR from the P1

Can't wait to see it in full.
Pretty sure its not a road going vehicle mate. Its going to be a customer race car for GT3 teams in the European Le Mans series and TUDOR sportscar championship...

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM

What a Breast.

From the press release:

McLaren 650S GT3 Technical Specification
Chassis/Body
o McLaren carbon fibre MonoCell with aluminum front and rear sub frames
o Bespoke lightweight carbon fibre/composite body panels
o Left hand drive
o FIA approved safety roll cage
o Air-jacking system
o Colour – customer choice

Aerodynamics
o Front splitter and dive planes
o Rear wing - fully adjustable with gurney
o Front and rear diffusers

Engine/Management
o Race prepared 3.8L V8 twin turbo McLaren M838T
o McLaren Electronics ECU incorporating turbo boost and transmission shift control

Transmission
o Six-speed sequential motorsport transmission pneumatically actuated via steering wheel mounted paddles

Electrical System
o Lightweight motorsport specification wiring and connectors
o Electronic power management system
o Membrane type switch panel
o Auxiliary power supplies for fitment of team equipment (radio etc)

Data System
o McLaren Electronics ‘ATLAS’ data system
o Motorsport digital dash display

Front/Rear Suspension
o Double wishbone adjustable for ride height, camber and toe
o 4-way adjustable dampers with coil over springs
o Motorsport axles with single wheel retaining nut
o Adjustable anti-roll bars
o Forged aluminium wheels: Front 12.5” x 18”, Rear 13” x 18”

Steering
o Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering
o Unique McLaren GT composite steering wheel incorporating key driver switch controls and map settings

Fuel System
o Motorsport ‘bag tank’ system with 125L capacity
o Motorsport ‘quick-fill’ system

Brake System
o Monoblock calipers with ventilated discs:

Front – 6 piston caliper, 380 x 35mm disc
Rear – 4 piston caliper, 355 x 32mm disc
o Bosch motorsport ABS
o Adjustable brake bias

Cockpit
o McLaren GT bespoke composite seat shell
o Six-point racing harness
o Motorsport pedal box – adjustable position
o Lightweight carbon fibre dash with integrated driver display and switch panel
o Motorsport fire extinguisher system

17 pictures and full press release

post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sullivan View Post
Pretty sure its not a road going vehicle mate. Its going to be a customer race car for GT3 teams in the European Le Mans series and TUDOR sportscar championship...
Could you expand on this a bit? I'm wondering what McLaren will be doing with this car once Goodwood is over. Is it a one-off model, or will they produce more? Does McLaren have a racing team that this car will compete for?

post #6 of 9 Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM

I love how the GT3 version looks, Mclaren needs to consider coming out with some GT3 inspired 650s for production.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Could you expand on this a bit? I'm wondering what McLaren will be doing with this car once Goodwood is over. Is it a one-off model, or will they produce more? Does McLaren have a racing team that this car will compete for?
Sell it to someone... Thats how sportscar racing operates. There are very few Works teams in any given motorsport. Of course Factory rides are the most desirable, but scarcity dictates only aliens apply!

For a company of McLarens size (Ferrari as well) They subsidize their works programs (F1 mainly) through selling customer race cars. Ferrari has been doing this for YEARS, you see it in MotoGP and F1 as well (although only engines).

Some even offer lease programs, I know HRC has several leased factory bikes on the grid...
post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

So basically teams can buy this car to race in whatever series it qualifies for, but its not like McLaren has its own team. They build this beast and then they try to sell it to people, anyone. I guess its simpler than I thought originally.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 PM

well no its not exactly "simple" as theres more to racing than getting the car. You need mechanics, engineers, tires and transportation. Just to name the obvious...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren 650S Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page